Sunday, March 13, 2016

Open Post to Peer Reviewers

    Finally I have arrived with a complete rough draft of my essay. This draft itself has cost me about twelve hours of my life but I'm not done yet. I have already identified a few weaknesses but also strong points of my essay that I will answer in questions below.

A link to my rough draft.

  • Key information about your particular project that you would like anyone who peer reviews your draft to know
    - The aerospace engineering field is like many of the STEM fields, it really only has one major genre that professionals write in, the scholarly journal article. When it comes to other forms, they are not as well known, such as the public reports and presentations such as a power point. This means that while I do have only a few genres, it covers a large portion of the field. 
    - Also, I am very interested in space, and sometimes do skip over details that people may not know, and therefore it would be nice to hear from other peers on how the essay reads. 

  • Major issues or weaknesses in the “Rough Cut” that you’re already aware of (as well as anything you’d like to know from your editors about those weaknesses)
    - I know I have a voice that isn't perfectly clear, and I have edited or cut out some of the weaker parts of my essay that break the flow of the video, so it would be nice to hear some obvious complaints or maybe suggestions for transitions between large parts of my essay that would help the flow.  
    - I also know that I did not include the references at the end of the essay, but I would like to hear from my reviewers if I need to include more researched opinions or if the current content that is in the essay is sufficient to support my two genres. 
    - I understand that I skipped over part of my thesis where I mention presentations such as powerpoints are also a genre for this field. At the end of the essay where I reached almost eight minutes, I realized jumping into that topic might make the video drag on and make it worse overall. Would an extra body paragraph section of presentations add to the value of the essay, or is the current content enough?

  • Major virtues or strengths in the “Rough Cut” that you’re already aware of (as well as anything you’d like to know from your editors about those strengths)
    - I believe my main strength in this essay is that the video does match up well with the vocal section of the essay, but I would like to know from the peer reviewers if they would like to have more video, as I see the majority of my essay is photographs, which could be boring after a while. I am curious as to other people's opinion on this bias towards photos. 

3 comments:

  1. Hey Alex. I did peer review for your video essay. I hope it helps you out. Here is the link.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Howdy Alex, here's the link to my peer-review for your project. Apologies for the url, my hyperlink isn't working, not sure why.

    http://jacksonenglish109.blogspot.com/2016/03/peer-review-for-alex-mccarthy.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. Howdy Alex, here's the link to my peer-review for your project. Apologies for the url, my hyperlink isn't working, not sure why.

    http://jacksonenglish109.blogspot.com/2016/03/peer-review-for-alex-mccarthy.html

    ReplyDelete