Tuesday, March 8, 2016

Reflection on Aerospace Genre Video Essay

        As I come to the end of my week of pre-production on my video essay for aerospace genres, I can come back to reflect how far I have come and how much I have left to do. In my previous two posts, I laid out content and a timeline for the content to follow in the next week, which means I know I have plenty of word ahead of me. 
       
       Without any reflection however, I won't be able to learn from my mistakes in the first few weeks of this project, and apply their fixes to the tough production weeks coming up. Learning from mistake is one key skill you must learn going through life. 
       
     Following are a few key questions designed to help me reflect on my previous work for this video essay.

  • What were some of the successes (or, things that went right) during this week’s process work? Explain, with evidence.  
    • Some of my biggest successes were from our work in class on Tuesday for my English project, where I attained a few ideas for main genres to look for in my own field, and a few concepts on how to analyze them and apply them to my project. This includes the presentation ideas that a few class members brought up in class who were also in scientific fields without much written discourse. 
    • Another success I had was realizing exactly how much work the production week coming up will present to me with the timeline I had to create. I've already cancelled plans on Friday in order to free up time to record and write and gather for my video essay, which is going to take up a lot of time. 
  • What were some of the challenges (or, things that went wrong) during this week’s process work? Explain, with evidence.
    • The main challenge I faced was procrastination, as I didn't start any of the outlines until the due date on Tuesday 3/8/16, as seen on my blog posts. This really hindered how much research I could do before choosing examples for my content outline, and I believe I will have to search for a couple of better examples for my actual essay, especially my second presentation example, as the Virgin Galactic report is more of a public report than a presentation, which will confuse people in my essay if I don't clarify the differences between the two.
    • The other challenge I faced was finding significantly different genres to work inside of for my major, aerospace engineering, as I really only learned about scholarly journals through my research and didn't receive too much help from my interviews. This was helped through Tuesdays class though, and wasn't as much of a challenge, as I found public reports and presentation to be different in purpose and genre. 
  • How do you think next week will go, based on your experiences this week?
    • I think next week will be a lot of work and might turn out horribly depending on my will to stop procrastinating like I did this week. If I procrastinate, I simply will not get it done. 
  • How are you feeling about the project overall at this point?
    • Overall I am feeling okay about the project, but I am worried about the amount of work that is upcoming until I hit spring break, at that point, I know I can edit it well. 

No comments:

Post a Comment